Friday, August 26, 2011

OH OH Irene and the VA

The Hurricane is coming. The Hurricane is coming.

Before everyone calls and asks how am I holding up in the hurricane, please note:

Asheville to Hilton Head SC = 316 miles
Rochester to New York City = 310 miles

So you see there is a lot of country for Irene to trash before it gets here, we are also at 2000 - 2500 feet up. We will probably get some stiff wind and some showers off the backside of Irene but we will be affected just the same as Rochester will be.  In fact the backside of Irene will pull down air from Canada. That stuff will come zipping across Lake Ontario with nothing in the way to slow it down till it hits the Southern Coast of Ontario (i.e. Rochester).

Hurricanes are nasty beasts and the entire east coast from SC to Maine looks like its going to get a Nor'Easter. But they really spend most of their energy in the first 50 miles inland. Good not to be living in Washington or NY City.

The VA

Today, I had a complete Physical at the Veteran Administration. The VA gets a lot of press for their shoddy medical service, their terrible conditions and poor surly staff.  That has not been my experience.

The VA here in Asheville NC and the one I went to in Rochester NY have been wonders. The friendliest, concerned staff I have every had much better than what I have witnessed in private practice. The Doc today spent 45 minutes with me going over everything. Asking questions more about lifestyle and how it relates to my health. I was sent to Blood Lab, X-ray, EKG, Med. Devices (to pick up a blood pressure monitor) the Pharmacy, the front desk, and to "secure Messaging" to set up e-mail communication with the VA.

I was scheduled for an 8:30 appointment and was called at 8:25! I brought audio books on my iPod, sudoku puzzles the works knowing that I was going to be spending the day.

I never finished the first Sudoku puzzle, a gold rated puzzle but I am pretty good at them.

I was finished and out the door by 1100AM! The closest to surly I got was the women who took blood. And she apologized to me saying that she was just having a bad day, kids starting school wanting $200 kicks (shoes).

God Bless the folks at the Vets Administration. I know they face the same pressures as hospitals and clinics and they are born of the same people who have blessed us with the Department of Motor Vehicles. Yet, They do their job with a smile, the place is very clean, modern and a real joy to be treated there.

And one other thing two people today said "Thanks for your service and have a great day" For a VietNam era vet that is truly something to hear.

1 comment:

  1. I am just reading the first blog... for me anyway. This should be interesting and informative! I knew you could be constructive and ... despite the governmental influences, fun and observant. Keep writin Bubba!

    ReplyDelete